Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Just about 6 weeks

This coming Thursday will mark my 6th week of intermittent fasting (IF). It has gotten so easy that I can now ignore any kind of food during my fasting time (18 hours). Also, I began to decrease the amount of food I eat during my eating window (6 hours). Several times during this 6 week period, I've done 19/5 days; that is, 19 hours of fasting with a 5 hour eating window and I even did a 20/4 day one time. I finally lost some weight although it's not enough for me to brag about (4 lbs). The thing is, those 4 lbs came of pretty much without me noticing or suffering.

The primary purpose of IF was to control my diabetes by giving my body a break from insulin production. About 3 weeks ago I began to walk during my lunch hour and have done it consistently to today. Here's something however; if I walk as fast as I can for say, 20 to 30 minutes, my blood sugar actually goes up! I've tested this twice. Everywhere I checked on the web, I read that this rise is temporary. We'll see in about one and a half hour from now when I check my postprandial blood sugar. It better not be super high!
****UPDATE****
Yes indeed, the postprandial reading was 20 mg/dL lower than the reading right before I ate my lunch. Interesting!!

I went to the doctor for my 3 month check up. My HA1c was 9.5. Much higher than I hoped but much lower than the last time I went in. Part of the problem was that in the last 3 months, I experimented quite a bit with food, medication and fasting. For one, the insulin was making me ravenously hungry. I wish I had started this IF as soon as I left the doctor's office last time. That's ok though. I expect my A1c to be around 6.5 when I go back in June. My blood pressure was much better too but still a tad bit high. Again, I think that the next visit will be a really good one.

Thank you for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment