Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Intermittent Fasting

I tried Intermittent Fasting (IF) before. I did it for about 2 weeks and noticed that although I lost very little weight, my clothes began to fit better. Because I did not see any dramatic results, I stopped doing IF and moved on.

Now that I am checking my blood sugar on a regular basis, I was curious as to what would happen if I did IF again. As I am writing this, I am on my 7th day of IF. At first, my blood sugar did not respond in any significant way but yesterday and this morning, my blood sugar was significantly lower.

You can get tons of information on IF online. I am doing an 18/6 protocol. That is, I fast for 18 hours and then have a window of 6 hours to eat ANYTHING I want. How this works for me is that I eat my last meal of the day somewhere between 5 pm and 6 pm an then I don't eat again until noon the next day.

As far as diet protocols go, IF is the easiest way for me to change my eating habits. I am even fixing my own lunch and I am much more inclined to cook my own meals as opposed to eating fast food.

For me, the first few days of IF were the toughest. During the first few days, I tended to eat way too much food during my eating window. After the first 3 or 4 days however, I began to relax. I am now a little less hungry when my eating window opens and I am now eating smaller meals for my last meal of the day.

I am doing IF to see if I can control my blood sugar better. Many people do IF to lose weight. If I lose weight on IF it will be a bonus for me. I read somewhere that I won't see the real benefits of IF until I've done it for several weeks. I think last time I stopped too soon.

I already feel better after only 7 days and as I said, my blood sugar began responding in a positive way.

I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment